Sunday, March 09, 2003

If you do not like the idea of copious amounts of mucus, do not read on. If you do, you should talk to someone about that, in a professional capacity. If you don't like it but can stand it, read on.
Thursday I went to a movie with Amberly and we had a great time (we saw Daredevil). After the movie she had messeges on her phone from Carl and Drew saying to call my Dad. I did, and he had some bad news. My grandfather was in the ICU in Anniston. He told me to wait until friday morning and then come home so I could help in any capacity I could. So I waited. I didn't sleep much, but I waited. And friday I went.
First, so as not to cause any undue alarm, grandpa is ok for now. The diagnosis is pneumonia, possibly chronic. But that is not so bad as the congestive heart failure that was on the table for awhile. And he's at home. Everyone feels Grandma can take better care of him there since they have such a rhythm there. So he's ok. Back to friday.
I went home and waited with Mama, Aunt Beth, Aunt Pat, and Grandma and we had fish (friday Catholics!). Grandpa was moved to a normal room that afternoon, and over the next few days he steadily improved. I stayed both nights with Grandma, watching him and helping the over-worked, understaffed, underpaid nursing staff. So all is ok at this point, but I still haven't gotten to the reason for my gross disclaimer above.
As I understand it on thursday night Grandpa started having trouble breathing. After awhile lots of very thick mucus started draining out of his mouth, and he couldn't seem to cough any of it out himself. So Grandma had a quick and ingenious idea: she got the turkey baster and started cleaning out his mouth and throat. It worked and probably saved his life by buying enough time for the ambulance and Dr. Zinn to get there. So there is the not-so-in-order story of this weeekend. I didn't sleep much until today, so I am sort of wonkey. I'm going to go back to work and a group meeting now.
I hope everyon is well!
Peace,
Joe

No comments:

Blog Archive