Wednesday, March 05, 2003

I would like to announce that I am not updating my site from the cellar today, though I may do more later (since I am working tonight). Nope, I am here in my room, thinking about what I can put on my website to communicate with my family and friends. Well a few things have happened since my last significant post, and they mostly involve graduate school (what else is new). So here they are:
Last friday I visited the Cognitive department at Alabama and stayed the night with Nick. I went to lunch with some of the faculty and a first year student, then saw many of the labs, then went to a research talk, then went and had a few beers with the grad students. All in all it was an awesome time. It is a relaxed department with many smart people having a good time. Sounds like a nice place to be for free for the next four years, you know? After having a very nice time with them Nick and I had tubby eating time with Cadbury Creme eggs and cookies and Chinese food from some place called Lai Lai. It was glutton-licious. We hung out with one of his army buddies for awhile and then went to sleep. I had to go back the next day for Honors Day here at 'Southern, but it was nice to see Nick for the time I did.
The thursday before that I got a call from Emory that was ohh so nice. I didn't call anyone becasue it is a conditional acceptance, but here's what they want to give me with it: full tutiton plus fees for tenure. I said, "that's great!" and then they asked me if anyone else had accepted me. I said yes, and detailed to Alabama offer to them. They said something like, "Well, yes, ummm... we are meeting again tomorrow, and we'll consider this an amendment to your application and get back to you later." So they called me back on friday and offered me a $5,000.00 per year stipend to teach stats. It was very flattering and wonderful, but it still pales to Alabama's offer. So at this point, Emory may be out of the running. And I am telling everyone this at once so I can keep my cell phone bill down, so, (if they care), tell your friends!
Ash Wednesday is today. I have had tofu, carrots, and milk, plus some vitamins. Class and work have kept me from mass unfortunately, but the fasting makes me feel the day even more than the ashes, so I think me and God be cool. Yeah, we cool.

I hope everyone is well!
Peace,
Joe

No comments:

Blog Archive