Sunday, October 06, 2002

I GOT A FIDDLE TODAY! Yep, I sepnt my money on another instrument that I will spend just enough time on to get ok, and then go back to guitar. But that is secondary to the rest of the day so far. Let me tell you about the Fiddler's convention, since that's all I've been talking about on this site all week anyway.
Carl and Nick and I got to Athens in the middle of the banjo competition, around 8:30pm. Mama and Daddy had already registered me to sing in the Old Time Singing competition, and Carl and Nick bought tickets when we got there. We got there just in time to meet up with Ma and practice my song maybe twice, only to find out that she couldn't back me up without an instrument (besides her voice). Will and Meghan were running late (they ran into every conceivable type of traffic) so I thought that I wasn't going to sing (that didn't seem too bad to me after the reality of singing in front of many people set in). But Will got there in time, registered (they wouldn't let me and Ma do it for him) and backed me up, so I did sing. I was nervous (it came across verrrry much in my voice) and a siren went off in the middle of the song, and I forgot a verse (I blame it on the siren, but actually I didn't know it went off until Will told me afterward). But I got to sing with my brother, which made me feel important and somehow a better musician than I really am, and he harmonized with me on the chorus, which I think (if we have time to practice together next time) could be verrrry niiiice in the future. Will sang "Angel Band" and absolutely blew everyone away. I had no doubt that he was going to win first place, but then some magic ray hit the judges and made them forget that he even sang, I guess. Mama sang something I had never heard her sing before, "Queen of Hearts" a cappela, and it was mesmerizing. I hate it that she never wins there (she doesb't sing the "right kind of songs" apparently) but its a safe bet she always has the prettiest voice at the whole convention. Yep. Daddy looked great, like he had much energy, and it was very fun getting to see Jamie and Dave again. We all jammed Saturday afternoon (Dave bought a new guitar!) until our fingers started to hurt. We ate funnel cake and the like, and then Nick came back with me and Carl to 'Southern and we hung out and played my new fiddle very badly. Liz and Josh and Peeg and Stacy were missed a whole bunch.
So there's my weekend. The best break ever. I feel very much refreshed and ready to go for school next weekend. Family, friends, and bluegrass (not to mention a new instrument) will do that to you.
Gotta go to bed. Nick and I are going to mass in the morning. I hope everyone had as good a weekend as I.
Peace,
Joe

No comments:

Blog Archive