Tuesday, February 25, 2003

First off, I would like to say a supa happy 60th Anniversary to my Grandparents. We celebrated with a mass at their house and lots of barbecue. And grandpa has a Santa Cluas beard now. It was awesome!
Also...
ANOTHER HOORAY! Here is an update about the Alabama offer. Keep your pants on folks, it supa keen. I can tell you it certainly knocked MY socks off. Well not really, but maybe just my pretend socks of excitement.
Monday Dr. Roskos-Ewoldsen called my dorm room as I was on my way back to Birmingham from Anniston and Grandma and Grandpa's Anniversary. I was talking to Carl when he said that she had called, and right after that I was talking to her on my cell phone! She was verrrry niiiice, and then made me the following offer: Full tuition and fees for tenure, plus $12,500.00 a year with the possibility of an extra $5,000.00 a year for a school-wide Dean's Merit scholarship. They would support me all 12 months out of the year, which means I would be supported during the summer and wouldn't have to get another job, just research at the lab. I just kept saying things like "oh great" and "that's wonderful, really" which I really meant... but I was so, ummmm, how shall we say, overtaken - that I'm sure I sounded like an idiot or ass or idiot-ass. But she was great, and I proceeded to call every member of my family on the way back to B'ham. I'm going to visit on friday to hang out with Nick and meet the faculty. It should be supa fine. They said we'd go to lunch and a research talk. Then she asked me "do you drink alcohol?" and I said, "ummm, yes." Then she said we would get a few beers later that night after the talk with some of the current grad students! It was grand. All-in-all, a red letter week!
And, as I was talking to Will about the good news, his digital Tascam came in, right as we were on the phone! That as well is supa keen, and soon we will record the rockinest album ever! Rock stars here we come! Have fun Will!
So thats it. I am purty darn excited I tell you.
I hope everyone is well!
Peace,
Joe

No comments:

Blog Archive