Tuesday, January 06, 2004

And the Happy New Year...
Why yes, hallo!
New Year's was, ummmm, eventful. Two of my best friends (who were dating in a very Friends the T.V. show manner) broke up and it all happened within the New Year time frame. We went over to Carl's new house and talked it all out. On the plus side, there was much Champagne. Jenn came over too, but she was so tired from working on her Sermon (she gave it this last Sunday) that she had a half glass and got some much deserved sleep. I woke her up at midnight and kissed her, and she went right back to sleep. The night progressed as such until about 4am. Then we had omelets. Mmmmm. Omelets.
The friday after New Years I had one of the most interesting experiences of my life. Jenn's younger sister Jillian plays college basketball for the Millsaps Lady Majors, and quite well you will find if you follow the link. I had never seen her play, and so went with the Comptons to see her in Jackson, MS (that is where the college is). The twist is this: it is a four hour drive from Birmingham to Jackson, and we (by we I mean Mr. Compton, Mrs. Compton, Jenn's Grandmother, Grandfather, Jenn, and me) rode together in one car (a Crown Victoria) to Jackson and back in the same day. Yes, it was a very fast turn-around. An eight hour six person one car turn-around. But as bad as the set-up might sound, it was very much worth it. Jillian had a bit of an off-night and they (the team) were outmatched, but she played brilliantly and with a huge amount of toughness (she came out after the game with a black eye) and Jenn's family is awesome. Her dad drove the whole time, and everyone was fun to talk to. It is, in many ways, an experience I will never forget.
The following Sunday I drove up to Huntsville to see Jenn deliver her very first Sermon. She did it for a friend of hers who is the pastor there. And man let me tell you my girlfriend can preach. She spoke on Environmental Stewardship, something she is passionate about, and delivered a message that had many in the congregation on the verge of tears, and many others transfixed for the entire time (something you don't see often when anyone preaches). She drove home her point without insulting anyone, and had me thinking for the rest of the day about it (actually, I'm still meditating on it this week). Afterward we went to Waffle House, then came back for the 11am service, then went out to lunch with the head pastor and his wife, who used to be at First United Methodist in Anniston (its a small world, after all). We went to Piccadilly, always a good idea.
Also of note this week, the fuel filter on my car was recalled. Saturn fixed it promptly and for free, keeping in the "Saturn is Awesome" profile I have for them now. If they hadn't done it so quick there couldn've been an engine fire. Not. Good.
I start class again tomorrow. I have Advanced Stats this semester. In other words, most of my posts should be in gibberish for the rest of the Spring, seeing as how the math affects Chandler Brains.
I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

No comments: