Thursday, September 08, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

In light of recent events down here in the South, I haven't found words to post here. I can say the the hurricane touched as far north and east as T-town, and that Nick and I were without power for about 5 days. During those five days we actually hosted a fwe friends from the New Orleans area. But thank God for no power, compared to the surreal destruction that increases exponentially the closer you get to New Orleans. There are almost 600 refugees in the Recreation Center here in town, and another couple hundred in various shelters. Its a juxtaposition thats almost indescribable to see UA students working out on weights just a few yards from someone's 2 by 8 feet of Red Cross provided home on the basketball court. I worked at the shelter the other night, and did a couple of head counts during the early morning hours when everyone was still asleep. A few people stirred and smiled... more than I think I could muster in their position.
I'll post again soon.

I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having us. You and your brother were fabulous hosts.

I hope things are going well for you.