Friday, August 19, 2005

You're Getting Sleepy...

Well I'm not.

I seem to have forgotten how to sleep.

This has been going on for about two weeks now, and I have tried many things: working out, hot tea, hot milk, hot sauce...

Well, maybe the hot sauce was not to sleep. But you should have tasted the last cheesy tortilla I made. Sweet sassy Mo-lassy.

And so, dear reader, I beseech thee to let me in on some sleeping secrets. Most of you are family, and so I think have probably experienced similar times. It is like a very stroing type of apathy at the end of the day where I can turn my brain off but at the same time can't push myself up out of the muck to practice my normal bedtime routine. The result? Lots of delicious cheesy tortillas and not too many good restful nights. Like right now its 11:30pm and I am not tired. I have to get up in the morning. I have work. Sleep helps at work. I know. But still, the cruel mistress, she eludes me.

And I know I am a psychology student, and I know all about the importance of routine and calming my mind and not focusing too much on the next day and all that. I know. But just as doctors make the worst patients, I am loathe to take my own good advice.

And you know what? I like to sleep. Really. Waking up in a warm bed on a cold morning with the promise of NPR (yes, I said it, and yes, I know: GO GO GO) and a hot cup of coffee is always great. And I love to sit on my porch in the morning with said coffee and said news and ease into the day.

So as you can see, I have answered my own questions logically. But this restlessness is far from the warm womb of logic. So someone please do one of the following:
a) tell me how to sleep
b) give me a million bazillion dollars.

You CAN pick both, as they are not mutally exclusive.

Maybe the sandman is mad at me. I do lock all of my doors at night, and Julie might have licked him the last time he was here. Being a mythical creature in charge of human mental restoration, I imagine he doesn't like being licked by strange cats.

Hmmm.

I that was odd. I know. Sorry. Maybe I should TRY AND GO GET SOME SLEEP!!!

Its like a greased pig. A greased Uber-Pig that is fast and mischevious. I'm talking about sleep. And how it is hard to catch.

As my brother Will has said, "I am lugubrious."

I hope everyone is well, and rested.
Peace,
Joe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you could watch Japanese TV. It's not soothing in any way, but if you watch it too long you get so overstimulated and weirded out that all you want to do is close your eyes and shut your brain off. Good for sleepin'.

Nick said...

I drink beer and fall asleep. It works well although I frequently find myself asleep with all of my clothes on and food open and close by. I still have about 1/4 of a gallon or more of milk to drink before I leave on Thursday. A challenge I accept joyfully with lots of bread and smucker's Goober (TM) mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Yup, that, beer and being at work for about 12 hours will make you sleep oh so well.

Will said...

The trick to falling asleep is to get a book you really, really want to read (like the new Harry Potter, say) and then try to stay awake reaing it. You will fall asleep in like 5 minutes. But you have to try NOT to fall asleep. That's the key.

Anonymous said...

Hey. Its Noelle - we met at the wedding a few weeks ago. Anyway, as for sleep aids, when I was a kid, Mom used to send me up to bed with a rosary and a copy of the day's mysteries. After a while, she bought me my very own book, which is now outdated, with those new mysteries and such. It worked for me as a kid though.

Or I could send you a copy of my dissertation. Its about 100 pages of a topic that's not interesting to anyone other than me.

Other than that, just think about the books you were required to read as a kid for summer reading that you resented (Don't worry. I'm aware that some were good, but there were some that we all hated). I'm sure picking those up again would put you to sleep.

Sleep well.

Noelle

Anonymous said...

Noelle, you rock. AND I like your alias.

Alias.

Teehee.

I think I am going to try the Rosary. This is the third time its been suggested.

Anonymous said...

Glad you like sillydudge. And you don't even know what it means...sleep well.

Will said...

Well, I wish we could trade places once or twice a week as I feel I could keel over at any time and start sleeping on the spot. However, Liam has had similar sleep issues, so I will tell you what works for him: a toasty bath, a soothing CD of sleep-inducing tunes, a mild rendition of Goodnight Moon, ocean sounds on a noise machine,some warm milk, and a spin in the glider. It's the ultimate sleep elixir -- the only combination we've found so far that actually makes him sleep like a baby. . . . Liam says, "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Uncle Joe."

Happy Sleeping,

Meghan

Nepharia said...

My recipie for sleepless nights? One shot of tequila (top shelf, mind you), 1/2 shot of Grand Marnier, lime, splash of olive juice, sugar/sweetner of choice. Sip until gone.

Fixing to go to bed after one -- I've been having trouble sleeping since my husband went to Louisiana last week. Last time I talked to him was the Sunday before Katrina hit the coast of Louisiana. Hope to hear from him soon.

Good night. Sleep tight.

Nepharia

Anonymous said...

So I think its about time for another post. Don't you?

Hope your power is back on.