Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Once you go Mac, You Never Go Back

Let me tell you something.

No, seriously, you should prepare. Have a seat. Get a cup of tea.

My new computer is incredible.

Wait, not incredible. Its like Magic. Some brand of magic I always suspected should come with such expensive technology as a computer, but never saw until I became a Mac user last week.

Thats right, a Mac user. I know it sounds like I now use drugs or something, or that I am part of a cult. But let me tell you something. Um, again. I now completely understand why Macs are so cultish and why their faithful are well, so faithful.

Last week I purchased a new iBook G4, 1.33 GHz with 1 Gb RAM and a 60 Gb Hard drive. Not too fancy considering todays computing standards, but a huge and bounding leap from my old PC. ("Stan" had been with me since early college, and I had maxed out his RAM @ 256 MB. Yes, I said maxed out). My new iBook is so pretty and so fast and so EASY TO USE (yep, I busted that out early) that I can't believe its a computer. Like I said, it is some sort of magic. And believe me, its not just the update in tech that makes this so amazing. The OS is so simple, and beautiful, and quiet, and fast. The computer itself is small, perfectly proportioned, and well, nice to look at. Yeah, I admit it. "The design isn't that important" I once said. But now it is. Carrying this thing around makes me look and feel like a Stealth Ninja Polar Bear. You heard me.

Anyway, as the title indicates, I will never again venture into the land of the PC. I was afraid that my comfort with the aforementioned Windows Boxes might make this transition hard. Ummm, no. It just makes me sad I didn't do this earlier.

No, I am not going to make out with my iBook. So stop thinking that. STOP IT.

Oh, one more thing. I have finished my project of building a new computer desk for my new computer using the doors of Grandma and Grandpa's old kitchen cabinets. It turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself. I'll have pictures up soon.

RANT RANT RANT.

I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

12 comments:

shetumbles said...

Your post makes me miss my Mac desktop at the Chanticleer office. *sighs* I sure miss the Chanty G3...

Anonymous said...

Stealth Ninja Polar Bear!

Anonymous said...

Has Google tweaked it's AdSense rev share?
Jason Calacanis has noticed a sudden uptick in the click-through revenues for the Google ads he runs on his Weblogs Inc.

Hi, you have a great blog. I'm definitely going to bookmark it.

My Site is a divorce forms related page.

Check it out if you get some time.

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog site!! Lots of info, bookmarked it.

I have a Fans Related Topics site/blog. It pretty much covers Fans Related Topics related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, oh my gosh. Is is possible that people are spamming MY COMMENTS PAGE NOW?! IS THERE NO END?! I bet they are using Windows tech to do it it. Blah.

Anonymous said...

I have a serious case of "Mac envy."

-SP

Will said...

Love the title. . .but the computer? Well, I'm glad YOU love it. But please, Joe, do pull it out from under your pillow -- it's just not healthy to cuddle a computer every night!

Your PC-lovin' Sister-in-Law

Geoff said...

Did you know that HOT TEEN FINANCE OPPORTUNITIES are witing for you? With my proven LOW PRICE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS, you have been pre approved to win the Zabzabaar Lottery!

Also, glad you got your new computer. Send us pictures and tell us of it's compact and user friendly goodness.

Anonymous said...

But alas Josh, that is what I use my machine for: primarily work :(

Phoenix said...

Great Writing and tech is always good. This is the first blog good blog I've ran across in a while.

I'll be back.

BULLSEYE said...

We have not succeeded in answering all of our problems - indeed, we have not completely answered any of them. The answers we have found have only served to raise a whole new set of questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we think we are confused on a much higher level about more important things.

Nepharia said...

I Mac at work (a mac mini), a Dell at home, and Linux server in between. Geek at heart, philanderer by nature: I love them all :-D

Darth Nepharia