Sunday, March 21, 2004

My siblings truly know me. I don't think there are too many almost 23-year-olds who would freak out so completely over getting a toy for their birthday, but this couldn't have gotten much better. The details along with nostalgia and potential for all-encompassing nerd-dom combine to make me one happy guy. I have the original, the 2nd generation, and now the 20th anniversary special edition. You wouldn't believe the attention that went into this thing. The eyes glow, its heavy die-cast metal, its more complicated to transform than the original, and the Autobot Matrix of Leadership lights up. I know that most folks will keep it in the box for collection purposes, but this one will be employed in hours of play. Nay, days, months, years. There are parts of me that will never grow up, and I'm sure if I were to see Optimus die in a movie again, I would still cry profusely.
In other birthday news, Jenn got me Transformers playing cards, the new Norah Jones CD, a Mindy Smith CD (we saw her open for Nickel Creek), and Trivial Pursuit Volume 6. All four gifts are awesome, and each demonstrate to me that she knows me better than I know me sometimes. I mean, Transformer playing cards? YESSIR! And music and a game. Whadda gurl, I tells ya.
Mama and daddy gave me money, which will be used to get me to the APS conference in May where I'll be presenting a paper with Shane and two of my friends from 'Southern. Grandma and Grandpa got me the traditional "money to match your age" deal, and told me to blow it on something for myself, which will inevitably turn into CDs. Today we went to 11th Ave. grill, had cake, and finished off the night with Champagne and pictures of Optimus Prime boozin' it up with Grimlock (pics soon to be posted on my homepage). All in all, a great birthday before my birthday even got here. Thanks to everyone for a supa keen time.
In other news, I presented my thesis idea on Friday to the faculty and it went off without a hitch. There were no questions I couldn't answer, and everyone gave great suggestions to further my idea. So now I'm on to the formal phase of getting together my committee and crunching the data and the like. If all goes well I'll defend this time next year and then only be two years from my PhD. Yippee!
In yet other news, I am tired. So much fun this weekend has made me a sleepy guy. It all makes me not want to go back to the working tomorrow, especially since my spring break is only on week away. But alas, there is work to be done. Fun work for which I am paid. Whine-whine. I know, my sheltered life in academia is sooooo hard.
I'm off to transform Optimus Prime one more time and then get some sleep. When I wake up in the morning, I'll be 23 years old. Weird.
I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

No comments:

Blog Archive