Tuesday, January 13, 2004

First and foremost, "mad props" to my dad for having surgery on last Thursday and already being back at work yesterday (Monday). He is getting better all the time, as The Beatles might or might not say.
So I'm back in class and this semester is going to be, ummm, difficult. I knew it was coming, but I simply didn't imagine the magnitude of it. I have more reading to do than ever before in my life, and on top of that I am in a stats class. Now those of you who know me (especially those who are related to me) know that no Chandler should really be in a class called "Advanced Statistics" or Advanced math of any kind for that matter. Its not hat we can't do it, mind you. We Chandlers are pretty darn good at what we put our minds to. Its just that the math is a bit challenging for us in many respects. The main problem I have is that I find most of it terribly boring. I am all about the theory and the thinking about research design and question postulation in this here science, not the number crunching. But alas, its part of the job, and I will learn to love it. I do have an awesome prof teaching it. That will help. My other classes are all interesting while being super reading intensive. My only textbook is in stats; the rest of my reading will come from hours and hours of copying articles. Then hours and hours of reading them. But again, I love what I am doing. I'm just not sure what I've gotten myself into.
In other news, I found a recliner! Yes, my friends, it is a beautiful Lane Recliner that I found at the thrift store for a measly 20 bucks. After a steam clean, thorough wipe down and a new (Big Lots for 18 bucks) furniture cover, I am living the comfortable life. I also (Big Lots again!) purchased some matching pillows and a cover for the futon after realizing (with the help of Jenn) that my living room didn't really match. Well now it does! Throw in a $6 fleece throw from Target and the knitted throw my Mom is making for Nick and me (yes, it is cute) and we have a brand new place to sit around, with X-TRA COMFORT!!! And all of it cost me under $50, which didn't come out of my projected budget thanks to a refund from the bank. I should do some sort of show called "HOW TO RE-DECORATE YOUR LIVING ROOM AFTER YOU REALIZE THAT IT LOOKS A BIT SHABBY FOR UNDER FIFTY DOLLARS AFTER GETTING A REFUND FROM YOUR BANK UNEXPECTEDLY". Yes.
Also, I am now a proud member of the Alabama Credit Union. I joined when my other bank started to charge me all sorts of crap since I am now out of college. The ACU gives me all sorts of free stuff and awesome perks for being a UA employee. My checks even have Denny Chimes on them. Yep, I am officially becoming a resident of Tuscaloosa.
Besides that Nick and I are trying to eat all healthy for the New Year. We actually do eat quite well normally, but we are trying to add some continuity to it by loosely following the Mediterranean Diet, with lots of fish and pasta and fruit and dark green vegetables. But, mind you, I am considering Sonic as part of the Island of Crete.
I have much reading to do. I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

No comments: