Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Something new

Those of you who know me know that I like to write a poem now and then. Those of you who know me also know that most of my poems happened in high school, meaning they read like the liner notes to an unsigned emo album. But I have kept up with it since then, and I thought I'd post of few of my latest attempts here on the old bloggity blog.
For the past few weeks I've been training for a half-marathon timed for about when Nick gets back in country next year, so we can run together. It has been hard, and has revealed to me what an "ex-athlete" I have become... I can still do athletic stuff (like play basketball), but not in a prolonged fashion. Case-in-point: keeping dedicated to the running has been tough early on due to, among other things, what I like to call my grad-school baby (known in other circumstances as an emerging gut.) So I wrote out some self-encouragement the other day, (semi) beat-style:

"Run"

I'll not be a slave to the master switch
Gotta get outside to scratch my itch
Feet to pavement, shoes to grass
Until these empty feelings pass
Until these devils shut their mouths
Get up, get out, move around
Gotta eat for strength and not for joy
Save that for your work now, boy
Breathe twice deep, and sweat, and smile
Give yourself to the world so wild
Thank your arms for the work they've done
Stretch your legs in the rising sun
Run now boy, run
Run now boy, run.

I hope everyone is well!
Peace,
Joe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, you are blogMASTER! Look at you go! I like your poem very much -- though I think it maybe wants to be a song. So give it a beat I can dance to, and we're all set. :)