Thursday, October 11, 2007

Books are Nice.

Hey! Ho! It is a post from Joe!

Yeah, so falling down on the blog didn't do much to motivate the blogger in me. I wonder sometimes why I don't keep up with it the way I used to. But I write about that almost every transient post I make here now. So lets just say I was kidnapped. By monkeys who don't believe in the interweb. Case closed.

Lately I have found a way to weave pleasure reading into my daily habits, along with the many pounds of reading I do for professional type things. I just finished re-reading The Dharma Bums, by Jack Kerouac, The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran, and am in the midst of Naked, by David Sedaris. This triumvirate of awesomeness led me to the title of this post. To give everyone a taste, here are my favorite quotes. Some are picked for their serious contribution to my personal growth, others because, well. Here you go:

The Dharma Bums:
"Aw I don't wanta go to no such thing, I just wanta drink in alleys."

The Prophet:
"You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts; And when you can no longer dwell in the solitude of your heart you live in your lips, and sound is a diversion and a pastime."

Naked:
"The Greeks will be here tomorrow afternoon, and we need to hide the booze."

Ah, the power of words without context. I promise, each of these is better with what surrounds it. Except maybe the first one. That one is great on its own.

If you haven't read these, pick one and give it a try. Dharma Bums and The Prophet are both very short, and Naked is turning out to be one of those books you want to put down and never read again while finding that you have lost the ability to let go of the cover in each hand, and so keep reading. All three have been, to beat the poor poor horse, a little life changing. These books are nice.

The monkeys are coming! I have to hide my iBook.

I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

1 comment:

Geoff said...

I've read 2 out of those 3 books! W00t! I just read The Road. It is depressing. I can't wait for our Wii to get in so I never have to read again.