Wednesday, February 22, 2006

They Run And Hide Their Heads...

Its raining outside, and that is a nice thing.

I have been in this house now for almost three years, and one of my favorite sounds is the rain falling on the heating / cooling unit right outside my window. At first I didn't like it... it was too metallic. But now I know that the fact that its metal makes even light rain very audible, which I like very much. Its good for sleeping. Combine that with the chill in the house (thanks, Alagasco... do you guys take frozen tears as payment?) and you have some prime sleeping weather. The fact that Julie and Torrie and not both up tearing around the house is evidence enough for that. And Nick is wearing not only an old sweater, but also a hoodie over the sweater. We are exciting kids, I tell you.

In an unrelated note, I am sick again. Count this a number two for the season, not bad for me. And I'm actually feeling much better after some long sleep and A-1 care.

WAIT. Do you ever become oddly self-aware when you're doing something everyday? Right now, I became aware of myself sitting in my bedroom, typing on the iBook with only my desk light on. If this were a movie, softly soft guitar picking would be playing in the background, and what I am typing now would be an audible internal monologue. But it would be a very boring movie, and most people would change the chanel. Except for me, because look! I am in a movie!

Happy birthday to Liz, way late (It was the 16th). Nick and I got her a decorative Monkey box and Monkey hanger, along with some refridgerator magnets that say "Welcome to you vacation" with the eyes of the 1950s-ish folks on it blacked out. I know, I know. We are geniuses. On Sunday we had cake and Jim N' Nicks. It was grand. I never really want to leave when I get to hang out with my family. This sunday we'll do it again, only this time for Grandma's birthday.

Time for some reading and bed. I am finishing up my yearly reading of 1984, and man is that a scary book. If I were Winston, I'd have probably gone 'prole right off the bat. I mean, c'mon.

I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Frozen tears! Yes, I will try sending those as payment. Excellent plan, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Rain is excellent for sleeping to. Man, I miss that. One day I would really like to live in an actual house again (as opposed to an apartment with maybe six more floors of apartments above it) so I can hear rain on the roof. Hopefully it will not be like my house in Anderson which was awesome in every respect except usually after a night of appreciating the sound of rain on the roof I would awaken to discover what I had actually been appreciating was the soothing sound of rain on the roof leaking into my closet and getting on all my clothes and shoes. Ahhhhhh.