Monday, May 09, 2005

One of the things I study in grad school is our ability to manipulate the perception of time. In general, people feel closer to acheivements and farther away from failures, regardless of actual temporal distance (to a certain point). What I don't yet understand is, how does the clock on my computer go so fast sometimes and so slow others?

You know what I'm talking about. Like on the cartoons when the kid is waiting for the school clock to hit 3pm, and the minute hand keeps inching slower and slower as the time approaches. Well, the opposite can also happen, like when you are hopelessly procrastinating. Like I am now. I came to my office to get a good amount of work done and then BAM!!! Its almost 6pm. What.

I am dumbfounded. I am dumblosted. I know that I need to get this document done so that I can pack for my awesome trips coming up. I know that. But that is just the thing. When I start thinking about my motivation, I get distracted. Case in point: I just spent five minutes looking at the soles of my new hiking boots, trying to figure out how my weight is distributed across them when I take a step.

If anyone has a cure, please let me know. I might start analyzing the composition of my socks next.

I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

No comments: