Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Last Wednesday morning at 6:28am, Grandpa went home.

In an amazing week I saw all of my immediate family in one place at one time, and watched one of my heroes go on to greater reward. We were there with him each moment, right up until the last. I have never seen someone pass away so beautifully; not just this last week of illness but for the last few years.

Grandpa taught me more than I can recall now; how to fish, work on cars, pray without talking, tell the truth... so many things. Lastly he taught me (and everyone else) what it was to have dignity when society assigns you none. His bravery, spirit, warmth, and quiet determination to suffer with grace were beyond inspiring. His dedication to family and God was the stuff of memoirs and books about fictional characters. But Grandpa was real. Every bit of him.

This week reminded me with alternating joy and pain that I am a part of an incredible family. I don't have words for how much I love and respect each member of it. From Grandpa on down to Liam, I still learn from and am in awe of each of my kin.

To my family: thanks for the last week. I don't think any of us would have gotten through it alone.

To my other loved ones: thanks for demonstrating that some family doesn't have the presupposition of the relation of blood.

To Grandpa: Enjoy your rest. I love you.

I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

No comments: