Wednesday, September 10, 2003

You know, at some point yesterday I took a nap and had a glorious dream that Amendment One had passed, and that Alabama's school systems were going to get that boost they have needed for years, and that the Timber interest would finally start paying their share of property tax.
But then I woke up.
The most progressive, daring, beautiful tax plan as far as I can remember in this state was flattened by an uneducated populus yesterday. Those that stood to gain a huge tax cut from it bowed to the pressure of mud-slinging propoganda and saw nothing but "MORE TAXES" due to the stifling blinders set over their eyes by a state that always seems to cut its own legs off once it gets into a good run.
I stayed here for grad school for many reasons, but one that still surprises me is my faith that this state is on the rise, and that we are finally emerging as a new force in the social arena, cleansed of past mistakes but still rooted in the many things that make us so unique.
But enough with the bitching. It never really had a chance, anyway. Nice to think about, though.
On the upside, it only got up to 90 today. I am really not kidding about that being an upside. It was nice.
I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

No comments: