Sunday, November 09, 2008

Sunday Ride

During my blogging hiatus I've taken up cycling. Nick gave me his old mountain bike (thanks dude), and I've spent the last few months fixing it up for a commuter / mid-length riding application. I've been mixing running with cycling, and getting better distance in each than I ever have before. So, using Jamie as an example (thanks Jamie), I'm going to occasionally post good runs /rides. I do use this mountain bike mostly for road riding, which I understand is not ideal, but it was a free bike and I really enjoy it. I have no idea what good cycling benchmarks are, so these stats might be slightly embarrassing... but it is something good to write about, so here we go:

Date: Sunday, 2008.11.09

Start Time: 3:00 PM
End Time: 3:45 PM

Type: Mix of road and grass track

Length: 10 miles

This is my "regular ride." I've spent a good bit of my time in this pursuit trying to figure out a bike-friendly route around town. Campus has some good commuter lanes now, and the River Walk has a bike path as well. The problem is first getting to campus, then getting to the river, then connecting the two portions of the river walk. Folks in Tuscaloosa aren't used to cyclists actually riding in the road (or wearing a helmet for that matter, but thats another post), so I often get funny looks in the transition areas... especially when I get on Jack Warner Parkway for about a half mile in between the two sections of the River Walk path. One day they will be connected, but for now I have to get off on a grass track for about a half mile, then weave my way onto Jack Warner Parkway for another half. This is not as stupid as it sounds, I promise. It is not a busy section of the parkway, and I make sure to go biking during slow times traffic-wise, like early in the morning or on Saturday or Sunday afternoons.

Anyway, today was a great ride. The temp was perfect (about 60 degrees), there was little wind, and the roads were all but deserted. The river looked amazing, too: no clouds in the sky, so the turning leaves reflected crisp and clear in the water. In fact, it was so nice I nearly ran into a tree. But that was my only close call, and considering how long I've been doing this (about 3 months now), thats not too bad for me.

Now its off to the grocery store, Mass, and then thank you notes from the wedding. A thoroughly quiet and enjoyable day.

I hope everyone is well!

Peace,
Joe

No comments: