Monday, September 20, 2004

It is an uncomfortable thing when strangers wink at you.

Ok, don't say to yourself "no, it isn't Joe." Because it is. You know of what I speak.
I'm not talking about some nice old lady or corduroy-clad old man winking at you about the fact that they just gave you a nice piece of bubble gum (they have that right, you know). No, I am talking about one person winking at another person knowingly because they are both driving trucks.

You heard me.

While my car was being fixed, I was driving a full-sized Chevy Silverodo. Let me tell you, things are different up there, in the land of gas-guzzling-no-I-cannot-park-there SUVS. First off, you must master the art of not hitting others in a vehicle obviously designed to be driven on roads proportioned for some long-dead race of giants. Secondly, people in other trucks nod, wave, and yes, wink at you as if you were a member of the Masonic Order of Truck Owners. At first you think folks are just being friendly, but after awhile the pattern emerges too boldly to be ignored.

For example: I was driving said rental truck the last day I had it, when I came to a four way stop. A guy about my age was at the other stop. I motioned him on. He motioned me on. I motioned him again. He accepted. As he drove by, the guy clearly winked at me. I did not do what to do, so, with the windows down, I said "hey, thanks" to him. He winked again. This time I did not have time to respond, though I waved to no one in particular, not wanting to be rude.

Question to truck owners: does this happen to you too, or am I just a purty young man in the South? Please do tell.

I hope everyone is well.
Peace,
Joe

No comments: